- Joey publishes links to some of his working projects on the front-page of http://hwi.ath.cx/
Projects hosted on this Wiki:
- Instead of "Open in New Window" and "Open in New Tab" shortcuts or context-menu items, pages (tabs) should have a drawing-pin button which allows the page/tab to be "fixed", or "unfixed". When fixed it will never be lost, any form submissions or links clicked will appear in a new window (or tab, depending on user's preferences).
- GNU package to find dates mentioned in prose in email, to allow easy insertion into a calendar. (See mailcalendar.sh)
- Paying techs who can
- Making it easy for people to ( request and pay for | complete and get paid for ) improvements to GNU software.
- Presumably a website.
- Accurate specification / contract needed between programmer and customer (how are misunderstandings dealt with?).
- How to ensure collaboration?
- I would like to embark on this project soon, using a DB design tool, and Barracuda...?
- JunkShare?: another website, which lets people easily re-distribute bits of junk they have lying around which might be useful to others.
- A bit like eBay but localised. Consider online credits rather than money, also consider no financial exchange at all.
- UniverseSimulator?: an interactive modelling engine for anything from mechanical systems to biological systems to ecologies and astronomical models ...
- We blatantly want one of these. It will never be perfect, but we may as well get started.
- It would have different levels: subatomic physics, chemistry, biology, mechanics, ecology, into which we can place our scientific models.
- Depending what you are modelling, different levels will be used, approximations will be made, and options such as relativity may be turned on or off.
- It's just an implementation of our current scientific understanding.
- The software that does everything:
Applications are based around the data. While the software may come and go, the data remains.
1) Import existing data.
2) Define constraints on data and ways of manipulating data.
3) Create user interface to data.
This comment also applies to FunctionalJava: The user will always want to do more with the software than what it does by default. Therefore, it we should always make it possible (and easy) to build extra functionality onto existing software. As the problem is being solved, the system is learning and improving on its own solution.
- Applications / services should present users with pure data. The user should choose the UI of preference for navigating / editing the data.
I just want to be able to (as a user) mount a directory as a virtual directory which is actually obtained from an ftp session.
I want a filesystem and webserver which can always automatically provide the cksum for a file (and cache them too).
(Which means we need to know when the files change, which means capturing fs events, which would also be useful.)
Please to see the GNU project: libfuse
Ah thanks! I got it and made this: FuseJshfs
My current jumpgate is here. I want to make it live and dynamic, so that people can contribute to it and customise their own versions.
- SURD form raytracing.
- The user specifies the equations which will be used to generate the raytrace. They also specify the scene geometry. The computer then manipulates the equations into a suitable form to perform the raytrace. Where applicable, the machine, or the user if the machine cannot make the intuitive leap, applies optimisations to the algorithm. At the last step the algorithm is compiled and run.
- Consider the advantage of a computer which knows and understands curves. It needn't throw away the geometric information it starts with. Instead of turning curves into polygons when projecting shadows, the shadow can be specified in terms of a complicated equation. In theory we could end up with one huge equation which describes how to render the final 2D images, with some variables held constant, but other released (eg. time, shape and position of objects X,Y,Z, and camera position).
- This is a specific application of the "Mathematicians tool" suggested on the earlier project page (below).
- Ultimate GUI API. GUIs should be specified in a render-invariant manner, so that the same program may be rendered in a variety of mediums, eg: gtk, kde, win32gui, web, curses(text-only). We probably need XUL for this. This way I can start putting GUIs on my com-line utilities without being exclusive!
- Interaction with computer via Webcam. Virtual mouse. Virtual keyboard?